Anykščiai: cognitive route: Writers road
Location: N55° 30` 28.8", E25° 6` 43.19"
A legend of the origin of the name Anykščiai. "Once a woman took a paddle and came to the nameless river to wash clothes. While dollying she hurt her thumb and began to shout, "Aaa, thumb (nykštis), aaa thumb (nykštis)..." People heard the cry, and began to talk about the incident to others and ultimately dubbed the river Anykšta. After some time the city, which is located by the river, was named Anykščiai. "
Anykščiai region had more than 50 famous creators: J.Biliūnas, A.Baranauskas, A.Vienuolis-Žukauskas, and B.Buivydaitė. The route starts at Anykščiai Regional Park Visitor Centre, which is equipped with a modern exposition.
Anykščiai Regional Park Visitor Centre. You will get acquainted with the exceptional values of the park. The main theme of the exposition is the natural and cultural heritage, which unfolds in numerous literary works. The opening hours in October – April on Mon. – Thur.: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. (lunch break 12:00 - 12:45), on Fri.: 8:00 – 15:45 (lunch break 12:00 - 12:45) Opening hours in May – September on Mon. – Thur.: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. (lunch break 12:00 to 12:45) on Fri.: 8:00 - 15:45 (lunch break 12:00 - 12:45). On Sat.: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. The guide services in the Lithuanian language: 1 Eur for adults, 50 cents for pupils, senior citizens, full-time students. Pre-school children, teachers, accompanying 10 or more students' group, the guide accompanying 10 and over group of individuals, can visit the exposition for free. The guide services in a foreign language (English, Russian) - advance registration is required! For adults it costs 3 Eur, for students, senior citizens, and full-time students - 1.50 Eur.
"The Light of Happiness" is a tombstone for the writer J. Biliūnas on Liudiškiai hill, Anykščiai district. Lithuanian literary classic J.Biliūnas died in 1907 in Poland, Zakopane. He was buried there as well, as his wife Julia had no money to bring his body to Anykščiai. J.Biliūnas’ will was fulfilled in 1953 when his remains were transported from Poland to Lithuania and buried near Anykščiai on Liudiškiai hill. A monument was built on the tomb in 1958. The 14 meters high monument of hewn stones from Anykščiai district was named “The Beacon of Happiness” as one of the stories of our literary classic J.Biliūnas.
As J.Biliūnas wrote in his novel "The Light of Happiness”, once "on the high steep hill was a magic light appeared”. To achieve happiness, people climbed to the mountain and turned into stones, but ultimately one daredevil reached the top of the mountain and “happiness appeared...” And people visit the place so far, and believe that happiness can be found there. Some mountain visitors say that you have to bypass “The Light of Happiness” counter clockwise 4 times, make a wish and to come down from the hill not looking backwards.
It is also possible to visit B.Buivydaitė’s memorial house-museums, Church of Apostle Evangelist St.Matthew, a monumental sculptural composition for A.Baranauskas, which is next to the church, A.Vienuolis-Žukauskas’ Memorial Museum, A. Baranauskas’ (1835-1902) Granary, built in 1826. This is the first memorial museum in Lithuania. You can walk along the tree canopy trail, and see one of the largest Lithuanian boulders called Puntukas.