Castle of Dikļi
Location: N57° 35` 52.3", E25° 6` 7.896" | Website: diklupils.lv/
Dikli manor palace is located in Valmiera district Dikli, and was built at the beginning of the 15th century. Dikli is a very well-known place in Latvian cultural history, whose name is connected with many essential events.
The owners up to the 1722 were von Palens, but in 1722 it was sold to the higher stable master count Karl Gustav von Löwenwolde. Paul von Wolf received the manor in 1860. The manor belonged to this family until 1919.
Today’s Dikli palace is built from 1891.-1896, when the old manor was demolished. Only the outline and part from the basements were left from the old manor building. During the rebuilding, done by the manor owner baron Paul von Wolff, one of the Latvian manor neo-baroque architecture buildings were made, in which the wish to follow the local building traditions of the 18th century can be more appreciable than the foreign examples. It is interesting that the doors of the old landlord house were moved to the new house.
Dikli palace is a high plinth one-storey building with an attic. The centre of its both long façade is accented by two-storey risalit, but the sides of it – one-storey risalits. Both end facades are supplemented with easements. The building ensemble is supplemented with a park and ponds. The park is large – around 20ha wide, consisting of the part of the regularly planned yard in front of the palace – with lilac system and resting places, with hedges and exotic plants.
It is possible to learn about the manor buildings and land properties in the second half of the 17th century in land plans from Swedish times.
Traditions of Latvian theatre and song festivals were also initiated in Dikli. In 1818 a play “Robbers” was shown, which from Friedrich play was translated by manor warden Janis Peitans, but in 1864 the very first song festival was held in these premises.
Dikli palace is a neo-baroque building with plinth floor and attic roof. The biggest rooms on the first floor are conference room and entrance hall, and the terrace on the outside. On the second floor there are mostly health care and resting rooms. There are more than twenty reconstructed furnaces and fireplaces in the palace. Palace halls are offered for different workshops. The White room, Cigar room and Porch is inviting to balls and celebrations.
There is a large stone on the glade by the Dikli church. There used to be money under the rock. Not so long ago, people were still digging under the rock, but still haven’t found anything.
“It happened some long time ago,” says pastor Böhm. Böhm’s coachman once met the devil by the rock. The devil told the coachman to hand him any live, and then he will tell where the money can be found. The money will appear at the hour when the shadow from the church tower will fall on the stone. It is possible that the coachman dug out the money, because he suddenly got rich and bought Dikli mill. His lover was killed in pastor’s basement – she was working as housekeeper for pastor Böhm.
When the war started, baron went silently behind the church, looked for some quiet place where the rooster’s shadow is falling during the full moon. That was the place where he hid gold and treasures. The baron died during the war. The searchers were digging for several times, especially one, with a surname Alksnis – that is why he got a nickname Golden Alksnis. Later he disappeared – maybe he found the treasures.