M.K. Čiurlionis National Museum of Art
Location: N54° 1` 9.998", E23° 58` 19.9"
Mikalojus Konstantinas Čiurlionis is Lithuanian, artist, choir leader, cultural figure, the most prominent Lithuanian painter and composer. He was born and grew up in Druskininkai.
M.K.Čiurlionis Memorial Museum was founded in 1963 in painter and composer M.K.Čiurlionis (1875-1911) parents' home, where he lived and worked in 1896 - 1910. The two family houses are restored in an authentic way of life, the reflective displays of the artist's works, biography and family history are in other two buildings. The Museum has a reading room, where you can find the accumulated literature on M.K.Čiurlionis, concerts, events, organized evenings, and films take place. Hours: Tuesday - Sunday 11 am - 5pm. On Mondays and public holidays it is closed. Ticket prices: adults - 1,50 €. On Wednesdays (except in June, July, August) the entrance is free. Tours in the Lithuanian language - 8 €; in a foreign language (Russian, English) - 12 €.
Educational programmes: From “The Sun Sonata" to "Rex" for students of all ages). The price - 1 €. You should register in advance by phone (+370 313) 51131. Address: 35 M.K.Čiurlionis St, tel.+ 370 313 52755, email: MKCmemorialm@takas.lt , email@example.com .
M.K.Čiurlionis was fond of visiting Raigardas valley near Druskininkai and many of his works were painted there.
Raigardas Landscape Reserve: Raigardas Valley and Švendubrė village. Švendubrė is an old street-type village, an architectural monument that was formed at the time of Wallach reform in the 16th century. Raigardas Valley is a landscape reserve with the largest trough in the country (14 km from west to east and 4 km from north to south). It is 9 km from the resort while driving Grodno highway. There are many myths and legends created about Raigardas. The names of Raigardas and the Švendubrės village speak about the town and the castle (Gard) that subsided in the sacred potholes. It is said that once the Nemunas was flowing from east to west, but did not want to give its waters to the Vistula, turned north at Grodno and having ripped the Raigardas valley, rushed to the Baltic Sea. Right in the valley the Nemunas, as if not finding its space, also repeatedly changed the bed, leaving a number of old riverbeds. The river changed its flow visibly in the 16th century. One spring the crowded ice penetrated another bed and separated the Raigardas valley from the villages. Writer Vincas Krėvė recorded many stories about Raigardas. One of them tells us that once there was a castle standing and a mansion next to it, later it grew into the city with an important way from Grodno to Prussia. Historical sources suggest that the founder of Raigardas town was the duke Traidenis. Lithuanian transcript of the Bychov Chronicles reads: "The Grand Duke Traidenis discovered a beautiful hill by the river Bebro. He liked it, founded the city and named it Raigardas, and began to be called the Duke of Jotvingiai and Dainava." However, historians suggest that it was not the Raigardas situated near Druskininkai. Such name of the city was present in Poland (Rajgrodzkie), Yotvingian Castle stood there, which was destroyed by the Crusaders in 1253. It is believed that the Yotvingians from the destroyed Raigardas moved into this valley, and brought the old name Raigardas.