Castle of Kazdanga
Location: N56° 44` 2.18", E21° 43` 58.1" | Website: kazdangaspils.com/
The castle of Kazdanga was built in classicism style from 1800 to 1804 whose project was made by architect Johann Georg Adam Berlitz. It belonged to very wealthy and politically powerful Kurzeme barons Manteuffel. Economic buildings and living buildings are located around the palace, together creating extensive and architectonically important ensemble. A stone bridge goes across the Alokste River. Several buildings from the old manor are preserved on the other side of the river: servant’s house, stables, steward house and a barn. A landscape part was made around the palace at the beginning of the 19th century, which is not only the largest in Latvia, but also one of the dendrology richest and oldest parks. There are more than 200 species of trees and shrubs, from which 127 species are foreign. There are bridges, stools and grotto in the park.
The palace was burned down during the revolution in 1905, but it was renewed after two years. The palace was again destroyed during the WW I. It was renewed and rebuilt. Kazdanga technical school of agriculture was placed in palace in 1930. Not there is Kazdanga palace museum and Tourism information centre. Kazdanga palace is still considered one of the most magnificent classicism style examples in Kurzeme.
Paintings from many different artists used to array the palace interior, and the furniture used to be made from mahogany. Unfortunately during the revolution in 1905 Kazdanga palace was burned down and most part of the interior and decorations were destroyed. Burning of the palace was a huge moral blow to its owner baron Manteuffel, which completely changed his opinion about Latvia. Today the only things which give evidence about the refinement of the indoors are garden hall or basement round hall, or the large round hall on the second floor, whose dimensionally precise ceiling painting creates an impression that the ceiling are dome type, although they actually are flat. Palace premises were adjusted and used for school needs since 1922. The only witness of all historical events is a small Alp flower growing on the balcony, which baron Manteuffel called his lucky flower.