Location: N55° 42` 39.9", E21° 7` 50.00"
Klaipėda is a port, and the third largest city in Lithuania, at the spot of the confluence of the Curonian Lagoon and the Baltic Sea, in the seaside lowlands at the mouth of the river Danė. Klaipėda was called Memel by Germans. It is the capital of the Minor Lithuania. The Minor Lithuania or Prussian Lithuania is the region including the north-eastern part of the province of Prussia, where Lithuanians lived. Nowadays The Minor Lithuania is called just Klaipėda region, which is one of the five current Lithuanian ethno-cultural regions.
A distinctive Lithuanian culture in the Minor Lithuania formed on the influence of the Protestant Church and the Prussian state. This region was major for Lithuanian culture because the first printed book in the Lithuanian language, the first Lithuanian Bible, the first Lithuanian grammar, the first newspapers in the Lithuanian language appeared there.
Klaipėda Castle Harbour. At the mouth of the river Danė there are sea gates the only place in Klaipėda city which has free access to the lagoon. It is also one of the most attractive coasts of the Baltic region situated in the oldest part of Klaipėda city named castle place. The harbour is built and the Castle Museum is founded there (4 Pilies St. (Castle)). Klaipėda Castle Harbour is the only place where entertaining ships can berth. A monument dedicated to the good ghost is built near Klaipeda Harbour. Also a Chain Bridge stands nearby. This is a turning bridge across the channel between the castle fossa and the river Danė left the only one along the Baltic coast to present days except Karosta Bridge which stands in Jurmala, Latvia. It can be turned by 2 people. Having turned the bridge, boats and yachts can enter or leave the castle harbour. Foreign tourists arrived by cruise ships cross the bridge and travel into the city center.
Kaipėda old town is an urban monument which amazes visitors with exclusive buildings of German heritage architecture. Fachwerk style, characteristic of the Germans, dominates in the streets of the Old Town. Many of these buildings with courtyards stand between the Market Square and the Great Water Street and this type of buildings can be found in Churches and Rebels streets. This architectural style was formed in the 17th- 19th centuries when trade prospered in Klaipėda and business buildings were being built. Start walking from the Theatre Square in the old town of Klaipėda. It is near the Sea Gates. Square concerts, an international jazz festival, craft fairs, the famous Sea Festival are organized in the Old town of Klaipėda. The name of the Square is not accidental. Klaipeda Drama Theater is a building marked with number 8. In 1939, immediately after the annexation of the city, Klaipėda was visited by Adolf Hitler who gave a speech to the crowd from the balcony of the theater. The Theater Square is decorated with a fountain with barefooted girl sculpture built in 1912. This statue depicts Anika who was the hero of a love song written by a famous poet Simon Dach who lived in Klaipėda.
Next to the old town there are many more places of interest to visit. Birža Bridge is a bridge which is lifted over the river Danė and connects the current Old Town and the New Town. John’s Hill is an entire bastion which now consists of three separate parts.