Klaipėda.History Museum of Minor Lithuania
Location: N55° 42` 39.9", E21° 7` 50.00"
Klaipėda is a port, and the third largest city in Lithuania, at the spot of the confluence of the Curonian Lagoon and the Baltic Sea, in the seaside lowlands at the mouth of the river Danė. Klaipėda was called Memel by Germans. It is the capital of the Minor Lithuania. The Minor Lithuania or Prussian Lithuania is the region including the north-eastern part of the province of Prussia, where Lithuanians lived. Nowadays The Minor Lithuania is called just Klaipeda region, which is one of the five current Lithuanian ethno-cultural regions.
A distinctive Lithuanian culture in the Minor Lithuania formed on the influence of the Protestant Church and the Prussian state. This region was major for Lithuanian culture because the first printed book in the Lithuanian language, the first Lithuanian Bible, the first Lithuanian grammar, the first newspapers in the Lithuanian language were there.
History Museum of the Minor Lithuania. In 1924-1939 it was Klaipėda Regional Museum, in 1949-1988 Klaipėda Ethnography Museum. The Museum is in Klaipeda, 6 Didžioji Vandens St. The Museum collects, preserves, explores, restores, and exhibits sets of valuables relating to the history of the Minor Lithuania and Klaipėda.
Educational programme “The Household and Clothes of Klaipėda region in the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century. Unique clothes of the region, separate costume details, and ornamentation is presented during the session. The programme is intended for pupils of forms 1-12.
Museum working hours: Tu.-Sat. 10 am - 6 pm (tickets are sold until 17:30). It is closed on public holidays. Excursion time: Tu.-Sat. 10 am – 5 pm. Fri: 10 am – 4 pm. Educational activities: Tu. – Fr.: 10 am – 4 pm. Pre-registration for sightseeing and educational activities: Tel.: (8 46) 41 05 27, Tu. – Fr.: 9 am – 4 pm.
Theatre Square is the central square of the Old Town of Klaipeda. The annual Jazz Festival, the Sea Festival events, fairs takes place there. The symbol of the city is considered to be “Anikė“sculpture-fountain which is a monument to Klaipeda region poet Simon Dach, who created a poem that turned into the song "Tarava’s Anikė" (Germ. Ännchen von Tharau). The drama theatre and buildings of Fachwerk construction are in the square. These buildings are made of wood frame and masonry filler. Germans brought this construction method that was suitable in marshy area of the Old Town.
"Meridian" is a wooden sailing vessel in Klaipėda. It is also a symbol of the city, one of the most popular tourist areas in the port city. The vessel is moored in the city centre, on the left bank of the river Danė. After the overhaul done by the joint-stock company “Klaipėda Ship Repair” in 2012-2014, the ship is open to visitors. The lower deck is equipped with 60 seats marine-themed restaurant. Educational activities for children organised by Lithuanian Maritime Museum are held on the board. There are indoor and outdoor displays, which exhibit the ship's hardware devices, the wooden parts of structures, ballast stones, authentic sailing boat propeller, etc.
Lietuvninkai Square. It was formed after the great fire in 1854. In 1997 the monument to Martynas Mažvydas, the author of the first Lithuanian book “Catechesis”, by sculptor Regimantas Midvikis was built there.
Sculpture Park (in Liepų St) was founded in 1977 instead of the old cemetery. It exhibits 116 Lithuanian modern sculptures created by professional artists and stone sculptures.
Klaipeda post office and Carillon. Klaipeda post office is an impressive red-brick building which is still one of the best known and probably the most beautiful architectural monuments of the city, built in the end of the 19th century. Antique carillon with 48 bells operates in the turret of the post palace. In 2006 the carillon was equipped in the 42 m high tower which emerged in 1893. Every Saturday and Sunday at 12 o'clock people can listen to the sounds of bells music.