Location: N55° 53` 59.7", E27° 9` 35.49" | Website: kraslavaspils.lv/
Most important cultural history and architecture monument in Krāslava is count Plater palace complex – manor house built in 1791, which is being called palace by local Krāslava citizens, economic buildings and baroque style park – a grotto with its mysterious “underground passage” and palace guard – lion has been renewed there. Today the park is a popular walking place for city dwellers and guests. It dendrology content is also very diverse – around 70 different tree and bush species.
When counts Platers received Krāslava in their property in 1729, there was a wooden manor building, whose modest look is described in memories of family members. Around 1750, Constantine Ludwig Plater started construction of two story stone building with attic roof – count residency. The construction of the new palace lasted until 1791. There is a presumption that the author of the palace might be Jan Valenty Didreishten, or this plan was created when this master cooperated with A.Parako. The interior of the Krāslava new palace goes back to the 60.-70ties of the 18th century.
In 1824 the building was rebuilt after classicism canons. Manor economic buildings were also build next to the palace – steward and gardener houses, feed-lot, stable, ice basements, and greenhouse. On Daugava valley slopes, surrounding the palace, about 22ha large park was made.
The Plater palace was robbed and demolished in 1917-1919 during the chaos after the October revolution. The last palace owner count Gustav Christopf Plater died in Riga in 1912, but his wife Mary Plater emigrated to Spain.
During the inner wall exploration in 1984, the old palace wall paintings were discovered. Today Krāslava history and arts museum is located in the palace complex territory.
Plater family owned Indica manor since the 1533, but in 1729 Daugavpils headman and later Inflanty vojevoda Janis Ludwin Plater received Krāslava manor as his property as well. His son Constantine Ludwig Plater married princess Augusta Oginsk, and around 1750 a two story stone building with attic roof was started to be constructed by the side of Daugava valley, not far from the Krāslava order castle ruins on Theater hill, which was completed in 1791 by his youngest son August Hyacinth Plater. There is a presumption that the author of the baroque style palace project could be Krāslava town hall architect Jans Valenty Didreishten.