KAPEC GEOTASK?
  • The learning process is entertaining and exciting
  • The solved tasks turn into coordinates
  • The chance to follow your progress
  • Along with your schoolmates and friends, go on an adventure, searching for hideouts
Contact info
  • E-mail:

Kretinga

Location: N55° 53` 24.0", E21° 14` 31.9" | Website: thuania.net/lithuania/cities/3...7-kretinga

Solve tasks to find hidden Geo point coordinates


Kretinga Manor is in the northern part of Kretinga town. Count Joseph Tyszkiewicz bought the estate in 1875, renovated the palace and introduced the conservatory. The winter garden was established there. It was decorated with rare plants brought from all over the world. A waterfall fell down the rocks, the water and streams flowed into a small pond. Ornamental fish dived in the water, and a high fountain was in one of the ponds.  

You can see some expositions in the central building: archaeology, the estate's history and culture and numismatic exposition. Now here is the Museum of Kretinga, Kretinga Winter Garden (former conservatory), and a large park. There is a preserved manor brewery (built in 1838). 

The Manor Park. The beginning of the Manor Park is associated with a garden of fruit trees planted at the end of the 18th century. The park was divided by intersecting linden alley. A chestnut alley led to the east of the palace. The park was equipped with an ornamental style rose garden and flower gardens with fountains and sculptures. Another fountain came from the sculpture in front of the palace. The east side of the garden was surrounded by a chestnut alley, and the stone and brick wall separated it from the street. Pheasants and snails were grown in the garden. There were three cascade ponds the park. The garden was allowed to be visited by Kretinga townspeople, and local peasants. 

Sundial and astronomical calendar. In 1610 Jan Karol Chodkiewicz built the first woodcraft sundial in the courtyard of Bernardine monastery. Only its pedestal has been preserved up to this day. The second sundial was founded in the park of Kretinga manor near the Chestnut alley in 2002. 

The Calendar occupies 0.5 hectares, it is composed of precisely arranged stones and 13 oak sculptures indicating seasons, holidays and important anniversaries. In the centre there is a 6 meters high oak sculpture standing on a stone pedestal - Sundial rod - with a hole in the centre of the summit symbolizes not only the sun but also the circle of time and changes in nature (Rėdos ratas). 

The clock operating principle is based on the position of the sun in the sky at noon, and its silhouette. The central rod passes through the main axis oriented in the direction north - south. The stones with chiselled holiday dates and the names of the months are arranged on this meridian line. The shade of the basic pole coincides with the meridian axis at 12:43 p.m. in local time. A sunbeam through an opening in a column, depending on the time of the year, represents the period of the celebration which is chiselled on a stone at the moment of its falling. 

Memory Trail. On 6 August 2005, during the fourth estate feast commemorating Kretinga museum's 70th anniversary of foundation, the outdoor exhibition "Memory Trail" was opened in the Manor Park. It is a path leading from the gate toward the palace, on the sides of it there are granitic plates commemorating important Kretinga museum dates from 1253 to 2005. 

Manor ponds. Kretinga Manor Park, which occupies 8 ha, has three ponds, installed in the valley of the Dupultis River. They have become an integral part of the estate park plan. Next to them there is the Stone Paths, Waterfalls Rock and Views Hill. On the right of the north-eastern bank of the 1st pond, behind the manor house, on the highway to Salantai there is a hill to view the pond and the manor. Some ethnographers think there could be a castle, because people used to call the hill "mound". The old people of Kretinga remember that the old Count Tyszkiewicz buried his beloved hunting dog in this place. Earl poured the hill over the grave of the dog in its memory. The Cross of Padvariai village was built in 1990 at the foot of the View Hill to commemorate Padvariai residents repressed from 1940 to 1953. 

Around the city by water bike. Tourists can try out water bikes. It is possible to cross the entire city along the Akmena River. You can start the trip at the cafe “Vienkiemis" and go to the old town.