Location: N55° 55` 0.00", E21° 3` 50.00"
Palanga is a Lithuanian resort town, located on the coast of the Baltic Sea. Palanga tourism information centre is located on the corner of Vytautas and Kretinga streets - a place where visitors of the city can get all the information they are interested in about Palanga and its attractions: museums, exhibitions and concert halls, accommodation and catering, entertainment centres, tourist firms.
Counts Tyszkiewicz Palace. Representational Palanga Tiškevičiai palace was built in 1897. The author of the project was the German architect Franz Schwechten who lived in Berlin. This two-story brick building for permanent residence in Palanga was pitched by Count Felix Tyszkiewicz. It is a neo-classical palace with Renaissance, baroque, classical features and elements of the composition. The building has a regular configuration, the curved facade of the semicircle-shaped terrace. The stairs leading to it are adorned with a lion statue and a vase made in Paris. In the southern side of the palace facade there is a column portico and a terrace with a balustrade. From this side there is an access to a rosarium. The western side of the palace facade is connected to an octagonal chapel with neo-style features and the roof in the form of dome. The facades are of two slots, the windows and portals are decorated in orderly elements. After the war the building was significantly damaged. The palace was restored in 1957 according to the project of architect Alfred Brusok. After a few years there were Lithuanian Artists' Association art houses. Artists not only organized exhibitions of their works, but also had a holiday in this House.
On 3rd August, 1963 Lithuanian Art Museum branch - Amber Museum was opened in Tyszkiewicz Palace. The museum is at work here so far. Initially, the museum exposition took just 96 square meters and 478 exhibits were shown. An important amber collection, research and promotion centre formed gradually in Palanga. At present 15 halls with a total area of 750 m2 invite museum visitors to have a broad acquaintance with amber. The exposure talks about the history of amber formation, its prevalence, trade routes, amber processing and usage. A large and by far the most attention from visitors does have a collection of amber inclusions. The Tyszkiewicz palace chapel can be reached from the main exhibition halls. Various thematic art exhibitions have been organized in recent years.
The Blessing Christ sculpture stands in front of the palace surrounded by a green carpet of grass, flowers and priceless fountain. On the other side of the palace there is the so-called Rosarium, which has about 80 kinds of roses, and in the centre there is a beautiful Louis Hubert Noel sculpture "Rebecca" ("The Bearer of Water"). Address: 17 Vytautas St, Palanga; Tel. (8-460) 53 501, (8-460) 30 314, (8-460) 51 319; email: email@example.com
Palanga Botanical Park. The park was founded in 1897 by Count Felix Tyszkiewicz around his palace. The park project author was a famous French landscape architect and botanist Eduard Francois Andre. The sculpture “Eglė the Queen of Grass-snakes” was built in the park.
In Palanga it is also possible to visit: the Central Palanga town square - the centre is equipped with a great fountain, St. Virgin Mary church, the park of sculptures, in which young people organize alternative music evenings, Birutė hill and the Lourdes, the fountain sculpture - "Jūratė and Kastytis”, a pedestrian bridge in Palanga, J.Basanavičiaus street - Palanga artery. Most Palanga cafes, restaurants and attractions are concentrated in this street.