Location: N56° 9` 7.321", E22° 47` 19.5"
Papilė is a village in the southern part of Akmenė district, in the Venta Regional Park. Papilė can be proud of not only the natural, historical and cultural treasures, but also prominent figures, such as Simonas Daukantas the author of the first Lithuanian history.
Daukantas Museum. Daukantas Memorial Museum was opened to the memory of the author of the first Lithuanian history in the Lithuanian language. Address: 6 Basanavičiaus St, Papilė, Akmenė district, LT-5464. Telephone 8677 72 212, (8-425) 32 926. Email: email@example.com Working hours: Tuesdays-Saturdays 8 am – 5 pm. If you want to visit the museum at some other time, please consult calling the above mentioned phones. The prices of services provided: visiting museum for adults - 1.2 Eur, for pupils, children, seniors, the disabled, and students - 0.6 Eur.
S.Daukantas monument. S.Daukantas lived the last years of his life and is buried there. The monument was created by sculptor Vincas Grybas and built up in 1928.
Papilė St. Joseph's Church. A small but elegant church was built in 1887. In one of the towers bells were loaded. The organ was brought from the old church and arranged there.
Papilė Park, more precisely the remains of the former park, is in Papilė town Liepų Street, on the right bank of the Venta River, 0.3 km south of the bridge over the Venta. Several small-leaved limes, 6 Canadian poplars boast in the park. The size of the thickest poplar at the height at a chest is 4.6 m. The celebrity of the park is the 13-stems lime (till 1982 it had 16 stems). It is a spectacular tree with multiple trunks. Some of them have been cut down since began to rot, one overlaid beautifully on the side, but it still looks impressive.
The swing bridge over the Venta (access from Kranto St). The bridge is not intended for tourists’ information leaflets. It leads through the fields to the village.
Papilė mounds. Jurakalnis. In the south of the ancient cemeteries, located in first mound, on the left bank of the Venta, there is a wonderful wooded ridge, separated from the cliff by a deep ravine, passing into the Venta River valley. This is Jurakalnis, people’s favourite recreation place and a lovely place for walking. The mound was maimed by the cemetery equipped here until the 19th century. Lithuanian historian and writer Simonas Daukantas was also buried there in 1864. To the north and west there is the former Papilio settlement.
The second mound, called Pašalpos (Allowance) Hill, is on the right bank of the Venta, at its confluence with a nameless brook, which once flowed does not extinct anymore and recalls the natural Venta cliff cape. The steep slopes of 13 m descend towards the Venta River. The mound is degraded severely.
There is Papilė geological park founded in Papilė town. That is Papilė Jurassic escarpment. To make it easier to find this famous outcrop walk about 75 meters from the mouth of the ravine, opening into the valley of the Venta. It is about 580 m to the south southwest of the reinforced concrete bridge over the Venta River in Papilė and about 150 m southwest of the former mill. The outcrop opens Jurassic conglomerates with abundant remains of fauna. This unique feature was studied by many scientists in 1830. Karl Eduard von Eichwald was the first to examine the outcrop and writer Dionizas Poška gathered the first examples of the remains of the dead Jurassic animals in 1863. More than 300 Jurassic animal and plant fossils were discovered in Papilė rock exposure and described. You are able to touch the rock of the ages of even 160-180 million years at the banks of the Venta River. Fossilized and turned into fossils of creatures of those times usually cephalopods ammonites and thunderbolt fossils are found there. These animals lived in the Jurassic waters and disappeared along with the dinosaurs.
The height of the escarpment is 20 meters, the length is 130 m, the width is 0.36 hectares, and the slope angle is 40-60 degrees. In 2000 Papilė exposure was declared a natural monument. Jurakalnis geological - educational trail was equipped.
Papilė mill. Travelling down the Venta River we find Papilė water mill that belonged to Domas Borusas in the interwar period and to Jonas Mikučiauskas since 1931. It not only ground grain, but also sawed the shingles and supplied electricity to Papilė town. Once it worked as a wool comber and spinnery. Papilė mill is waiting for reconstruction.