Location: N54° 38` 49.9", E23° 2` 9.999"
In different historical periods the whole Vilkaviškis region was affected by various factors: Tatar residence, French Emperor Napoleon's visit to the city, the world wars, Russian and German occupations, the Jewish community and terrible holocaust ... In each period Vilkaviškis was different: it was weakened, it was strengthened. But precisely because of all these events, Vilkaviškis region is rich in its past, and historical heritage. The city has preserved many buildings of earlier periods, which had quite a different purpose in those times. However, the history is stored not only by buildings, but also by various monuments, cemeteries and other historical objects. It is a journey, when the past and the present is combined by the characters of the time.
- The journey begins at the Dr. J.Basanavičius’ Square. In the 19th - 20th centuries the Square, which actually was the city market, was surrounded by residential houses, shops, and synagogues of the Jews (merchants, craftsmen, bankers). They were the most abundant layer of the population of Vilkaviškis town. One of the oldest and most beautiful in Lithuania wooden synagogues was built more than 400 years ago and stood near the square. The Square was named J.Basanavičius (1851-1927) in honour of the Lithuanian public figure.
- The Love Bridge. This bridge justifies its name: the growing number of locks on the iron rods symbolizes love that is sworn here.
- You can be surprised by a part of the facade side of the building of Vilkaviškis manor, and by the impressive appearance of the renovated white columns. This estate was ruled by the representatives of a famous Lithuanian family, Oginskiai. The French Emperor Napoleon stayed there on the past several days of his journey to Russia in 1812. There, at the stone table, he signed his famous allocution to the Vilkaviškis district sizable army aligned to a parade, and read it at the same time declaring war on Russia.
- Public Library Building. In 1918 there was Vilkaviškis “Žiburys” gymnasium, where Lithuanian, Jewish, German and Russian children studied. The gymnasium had various organizations, clubs, published newsletters. Such celebrities - poets and writers- as S.Nėris, K. Bradūnas, J.Tysliava and many others studied in the gymnasium.
- Former interwar Lithuanian state alcohol monopoly storage. Alcohol plant began to be operated in 1924. The aim of the company was to bottle spirits in the containers set out by the Ministry of Finance. In the Soviet times the domestic service factory was located there, and now there is a shop of “Norfa“.
- St. Exaltation of the Holy Cross Church (former orthodox) and Vilkaviškis Cathedral.
- The Eucharistic Congress Bridge. On the bridge we remember: old people's home, a bathhouse and a synagogue, and before our eyes we see the current spectacle of the location: clinic, bank and so on!