Samogitia National Park
Location: N56° 2` 39.99", E21° 49` 9.99"
Samogitia National Park is a protected area, established in 1991 in order to preserve the Lithuanian landscape complexes and cultural heritage of national interest. Samogitia National Park has 23 natural heritage sites to conserve, approved by the country, 10 of which have the status of the monument of nature. The park has 2 nature reserves - Plokštinė and Rukundžiai.
Plateliai settlement. Plateliai was first mention in 1450. The beginning of the town is believed to have been on the Castle Island, where Plateliai church was built on the hill Šventorkalnis in the 16th century, while the manor estate stood on the adjacent hill. In the end of the 18th century Plateliai belonged to Oginskiai. Plateliai also received market privilege and Magdeburg rights and a coat of arms on 24 February 1792. It was considered to be a huge achievement for the village at that time. Oginskiai spread education and culture in Plateliai, as in other places of Lithuania. There was the first parish school, a post office, a telegraph, and a pharmacy. Plateliai experienced different periods of history. At the Soviet period Plateliai was called Plateliai central village of a collective farm.
Natural exposure in Plateliai visitor centre (8 Didžioji St, Plateliai). Here you can see the numerous bugs and butterflies, a variety of birds and animals stuffed, and the collections of lichen.
Plateliai manor. The first information about Plateliai manor reaches us even from the middle of the 15th century. For a long time the estate was in disposal of Lithuanian rulers. In the end of the 16th century Plateliai manor owned Plateliai town, the mansion, 18 villages (a total of 413 farms). Since the 18th century the estate was owned by Oginskiai. The main palace of Plateliai manor did not survive - only the remains of the foundations of the building represent its location. Plateliai Manor Barn has been raised to life. There is Samogitia National Park Gallery and the Museum of Mardi Gras masks.
Plateliai church. Samogitian elder’s son Mikalojus Jonavičius Kęsgaila bequeathed part of the assets to Plateliai church in 1523. In the 16th century it stood on Šventorkalnis. Later on it belonged to the Evangelical Reformats for some time. The church was repaired several times, but the 17th century it burned. Later it was rebuilt. In 1899 the present bell tower was built. J. Garalevičius assembled the new organ in the church in 1909.
Plateliai Lake is one of the most picturesque lakes in Samogitia. It is mentioned already in 1440-1447 and is located in the national park of Samogitia and depends to the Minija - Nemunas River basin. 17 small brooks flows into the lake, and one Babrungas stream flows out of it. Next to the lake there is a yacht club, where you can rent water bikes, boats, yachts, kayaks and snorkel equipment. There are also children's games, volleyball and basketball courts equipped. Address: 40 Lake St, Plateliai, Plungė district. Telephones: Administration: + 370-615-27350 (hotel bookings, general issues) Director: + 370-682-42062 Fax: 8-448-49030.
Šeirė trail. A pedestrian walkway is equipped on the outskirts of the Plateliai town. It is called Šeirė nature trail (4.1 km long). Samogitia National Park, 10 Didžioji St, Plateliai, LT-90420, Plungė district, Tel. (8 ~ 448) 49337, fax. (8 ~ 448) 49337, Emai: firstname.lastname@example.org
Babrungėnai water mill stands in Babrungėnai village, Plungė district, on the way to Plateliai, near the Babrungas – the right tributary of the Minija. The counts Šuazeliai built the current Babrungėnai stone mill, with the Fachwerk constructions on the second floor, until 1816. The count Šuazelis was the Russian an army officer of Tsar Pavlo. He received Plateliai town for the good service. He had the estate and the surrounding lands. Serfs worked in the construction of the estate. It is said that one serf misbehaved and was bricked into the wall of the mill.
Cold War Museum - missile base is located 24 km north of Plungė. The museum is equipped in the former Soviet Union’s complex of ballistic missile silos launch in Plokštinė missile base. After the end of World War II, the Cold War, during which the Lithuanian territory was deployed with nuclear weaponry, began. The Cold War Museum is located in an abandoned Soviet military rocket base.
Energy Labyrinth Park was established in Jurga and Antanas Jakimavičiai farm, in the Likšiai village, Plungė district. More information: http://energlabirintai.lt .